4/9 to 4/15 Weekly News Roundup
BY KID HERSH
Some interesting things of note in the news this week:
- Manny Pacquiao vs Jeff Horn is happening after all. The bout will take place in Brisbane Australia on July 2nd.
- Sergey Kovalev claims that he overtrained for the first Andre Ward fight. Could that explain his lackluster second half in the fight?
- Jezreel Corrales signed a multiyear deal with Golden Boy Promotions. Can't wait to see him fight in the states!
- Robert Easter Jr vs Denis Shafikov has been signed for June 30th in Ohio. Excellent matchup here - another step up in class for Easter.
- Michael Yormark says that Roc Nation is committed to Miguel Cotto fighting twice in 2017. No doubt many fans cannot wait to see him back in the ring but do we really want to see him against the rumored opponent; Yoshihiro Kamegui?
- Frank Warren is in favor of instant replays but only if they are after the fight. He thinks that one minute is not enough time to come to a decision in between rounds, so we need to review fights afterwards to find out if we need to force a rematch. Personally, I do not think this the wisest choice because it's typical boxing; it leaves room for argument. I propose instant replay gets the one minute in between rounds and if nothing can come of it in that time frame then we leave the fight as is. Simple, and hurts absolutely nothing.