Weekly News Roundup 2/18 - 2/24
BY KID HERSH
- SuperFly 2 was a big success. Srisaket Sor Rungvisai vs Juan Francisco Estrada is a contender for fight of the year and round 12 a contender for round of the year. The burning question being: rematch or Rungvisai vs McWilliams Arroyo for SuperFly 3?
- Deontay Wilder is getting flak for saying he would beat some all time great fighters such as Mike Tyson. What do you expect - for him to say he would lose to people? A knockout artist does not exactly instill fear in people by saying he would lose to anyone, from a mental perspective. I would expect any fighter to say he could beat another. Wilder also needs to improve his PR and as they have said for ages now: any press is good press.
- Mayweather is entering the news again with a picture in the octagon wearing mma gloves. Reality check: this is a photoshopped image and Mayweather is simply fishing to see if he could generate insane money yet again, no matter the venture. He plays the media and stays ahead of the news cycle.
- Chris Eubank Jr is receiving tons of criticism for his performance against George Groves. Perhaps instead of criticizing Jr we should be praising Groves for his stellar performance.
- Andy Lee's retirement caught me off guard. He has his reasons, so farewell to the Irishman that had an awesome KO streak where he turned fights around with his powerful left hook.
- I am surprised people are excited for Manny Pacquiao vs Lucas Matthysse. Matthysse looks shot to my eyes and so win or lose it would be a fairly meaningless fight.
- David Benavidez looks simply unbeatable. That being said it will be really interesting to see him step in class yet again - I am talking the elite fighters in the 168 pound division and perhaps the winner of WBSS.